”The SMH10R is a Bluetooth 3.0 stereo headset with long-range Bluetooth intercom designed specifically for sports bike riders who prefer smaller form factor for maximizing their riding performance, yet maintaining rich features of Bluetooth intercom”.
So then the main feature of these new headsets seems to be size, they are very small and thin!
Personally I have noticed some things that really are of interest. We (I hope) already know you can charge ALL SENA devices on the fly.
BUT the NEW SMH10R has a removable battery! .... READ change out the battery! Say IF you can purchase extra batteries (I hope), At fuel stops you can change them out every 10 hours or so and you could go coast to coast without losing power!!!
I noticed it “APPEARS” the way the speakers are plugged in you could easily change from Speakers to earbuds without having to change the headset bracket (If there even is one on the new design.)
Now with all that said, I know you are excited to go and check them out but before you leave to see the new SMH10R headsets stick around and I’d like to tell you a story ..........
RKA has been using SENA Bluetooth products since 2011.
We try to test everything we sell whether we use it ALL the time or not.
Sometimes these tests turn into more. Just like a hot date may turn into your life long partner.
We sell other products and Kathy has used a Starcom1 Advance for almost 7 years and a few years ago I changed from my Starcom Digital system to J&M’s at that time “Fantastic” Bluetooth system.
Among many other features both these systems (Starcom & J&M) allowed us to communicate bike to bike using FRS two way radios with a range of at least a mile, and two or three under the correct conditions, which is more than enough in our opinion for any motorcyclists needs.
Between the J&M CB radio setups we sell and the FRS radios capabilities using the Starcom systems we currently sell we have been pretty darn happy with this for almost 25 years.
Over the last 4 or 5 years we all know Bluetooth has been blossoming, getting better and better with better volume, better noise canceling, better battery life, the ability to upgrade firmware from your computer, and more and more features.
Last year at this time I meet a guy at the “Horizons Unlimited Rally” Kathy and I are going to again in the next week or so. I asked him about his SENA and he said SENA is the best! And went on and on about it. I got back to the shop and that Monday my distributor called to inform us they had taken on SENA. The stars seemed to be in alignment! So of course I ordered two so Kathy and I could test them. The rest is history. We were over joyed with them.
Then they introduced the SR10 Bluetooth adapter which allowed us to use our FRS Radios and I was able to add my Adaptiv TPX audio also, literally making two non-Bluetooth devices Bluetooth!
Getting Kathy to test the SENA Bluetooth headset was pretty easy as she knew she was going to get her Starcom system back when done. But getting her to test the SR10 Bluetooth adapter was like pulling hair out! She was happy with Starcom and did not want to make a long term change.
An interesting thing happened on the way to the forum! ......
Kathy liked it, I liked it!
We now both run SENA Bluetooth headsets and a SENA Bluetooth adapter has our own personal major setups in our IN-Charge Communications Tankbags.
BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE! ..... Kathy and I ride alone about 95% of the time, just the two of us. The other 5% with larger groups and friends that use FRS radios.
The last 6 months or so we found that that 95% of the time we started using the SENA headsets bike to bike and stopped using the FRS radios! Kathy and I are never more than a few yards away from each other so the Bluetooth range has never been an issue. So now the FRS radios set on our “RKA Dashboards" on top of our “IN-Charge Tankbags” and are just decorations and eye candy until we go on a ride with our other bigger groups. THEN we turn on the SENA Bluetooth adapter and use the FRS radios.
A secret most people do not know is when on a larger group ride Kathy and I can STILL take privately using the SENA Bluetooth headsets and no one on the ride can hear us! Press the PTT button and we are on the air with the rest of the FRS radio group.
Lastly ..... We really enjoy telling you the good and bad things about products so you can make the correct decisions when purchasing.
All we ask is that you consider RKA when you purchase, we try to be competitive and match the best pricing out there.
So if you find this little tid bit of information interesting and would like to learn more or build a system contact us ..... Your guys call our guys and we’ll do lunch ;- )
7698 Bell Rd, Windsor, CA. 95492
707 836 7659